Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kievan Rus? Strap End? 22 mm x 12 mm  (Read 575 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Kievan Rus? Strap End? 22 mm x 12 mm
« on: June 27, 2020, 08:31:24 am »
I have a strap end?  which was found in Ukraine - I think that it is probably Kievan Rus.  It measures 22 mm x 12 mm.  Any opinions as to its age and style?
Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Kievan Rus? Strap End? 22 mm x 12 mm
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 08:50:42 am »
It is almost certainly an Avar strap end.

See the numiswiki page:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Avar

I have not seen the exact design before but most Avar material is from the Pannonia region and material from Ukraine is less well known.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:41:37 am »
Thank you for the identification.  Does the strap end appear to be from the Late Avar period?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:52:26 am »
Yes, appears to be Late Avar III.  In Pannonia (Hungary, Burgenland in eastern Austria, NE Croatia, northern Serbia, etc.) this would mean late 8th too early 9th century.

However, the style is different. 

Most Avars appear to have left Ukraine in the 6th and 7th century for either Pannonia or the northern Caucasus.

But this style is way too late for that.  So i am slightly mystified.  Left-over Avars?  Late Caucasus Avars?  A successor steppe nomad peoples like the Alans or Gokturks?

Not sure.  I would love to find an identical reference.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity