Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Drachm of Alexander Balas  (Read 815 times)

Offline Pribislav

• Praetorian
Drachm of Alexander Balas
« on: June 06, 2020, 04:25:34 am »
Hi guys, I need help.

This is one of my recent purchases. Its a drachm of Alexander Balas, ruler of Seleucid Empire. Weight circa 3,46 g., reference number BMC 21. It has lots of fine detail, especially the ruler's hair or Apollo on the coin's reverse. The coin also has great luster, which has the side effect of making it difficult to produce a good photograph on any camera I have an access to. At any rate, it's not an obvious counterfeit.

It has been suggested to me elsewhere that it might be fake. I am writing this because I would like to hear a second opinion from persons who are more knowledgeable than I am. The coins was purchased on an Internet auction.

This is combined image of pictures displayed on Internet auction. It's the closest to the coin's actual look. The seller had a good camera. [ADMIN: Photo in the next post]

And here are pictures taken by myself. Like I said, it's difficult to catch all the fine details because of luster.

The black spot on the ruler's cheek is nowhere near as prominent in real view and has rather irregular shape. Looks more like a scratch than a bubble hole.

Offline Pribislav

• Praetorian
Re: Drachm of Alexander Balas
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 05:08:10 am »
One more picture:

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:22:23 am »
Please do not link to photos on imgur or anywhere else. Click additional options and attach (upload) the photos to the discussion.  I have fixed this post and ALL your previous posts.

I see no reason to doubt this coin. The "luster" may be from polish, not the mint.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Pribislav

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:19:03 am »
First of all, my apologies for the inconvenience with photos.

Secondly, thank you for your answer and assurance. I really appreciate.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity