Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine seal  (Read 845 times)

Magistros

Byzantine seal
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:52:37 pm »
Hi,

I’ve been trying to read this seal, but cannot make much sense of the legend. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine seal
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:50:34 am »
I read HANH on the first line, which does not make sense in Greek as far as I can think of. I think it must be a form of Johannes in the dative - I(o)an(n)è. Either the omission of omega is an orthographic error, or the seal's owner was not a Greek, and greacized his name. There are many examples of seals mentioning non-Greek language names, including Latin western names.

In many languages, the name Johannes can lose the o in its pronunciation (including in my own native language Dutch: Jan. Same happens in English, Ian and German, Hans). If a person named Jan would be commissioning a seal, he could be wanting to graecize his name, including the dative case, which yields IANH.

He was a [ch]artou[l]a[rios].

Here's a seal from my personal collection that shows a similar process. It belongs to a person named IOBANE who is a vestes. IOBAN is the greacized form of the Georgian name Iovan (also a form of Johannes).
Regards
Gert

Magistros

Re: Byzantine seal
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 06:50:40 am »
Thanks Gert, very interesting! I wouldn’t have thought of the possibility of Johannes. Would this date to the 11th century?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity