Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: 12th Century Trachea & Tetartera 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12th Century Trachea & Tetartera  (Read 908 times)
glebe
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 02:27:11 am »

But on with the motley...

I have just noticed something very odd. One almost universal feature of Byzantine coins through the centuries is that the reverse is normally inverted, at least on official coins.

Now according to CLBC the reverse of the Alexius I tetarteron SBCV 1931 is inverted as usual, and their drawing shows this, but if you bring up this type on acsearch it seems that in almost all cases the reverse is upright.

Does this mean this type is all (or mostly) imitative?

Ross G.

Catalin N
Legionary

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 04:13:29 am »

Did not notice this aspect before. I have just one 1931, which is inverted. Simon will now look through his box of 1931s...

* 0043 - pic.png (361.3 KB, 836x315 - viewed 0 times.)
glebe
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 11:01:24 pm »

I have further modified Table II to better reflect the weight reductions of the tets and half-tets over Manuel I's reign (basically following CLBC).

Ross G.

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: 12th Century Trachea & Tetartera « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop