Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new type of Gabratides follis?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
A new type of Gabratides follis?
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:24:28 am »
A new type of Gabratides follis?

Among the early Trebizond folles, which became known thanks to the works of the late Simon Bendell, two separate types are known (Christ on the obverse/ Patron Saint on the reverse).

The first one bears on the reverse the image of Saint Theodore, in full growth, nimbate, wearing tunic, cuirass and sagion, holding a spear in his right hand, and leaning on a shield with his left. The second follis bears on the reverse a bust of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki, in military attire, holding a spear on his right shoulder.

Not so long ago, I discovered that there is a third variety of this type of follis, similar in appearance to the follis with Saint Theodore, but instead of Theodore's name, the name of the patron saint for Trebizond - Saint Eugenius is indicated   :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Stigma:  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Stigma:. The coin is in a rather poor state of preservation, worn, and apparently subjected to rough cleaning with acid or alkali (judging by the remains of the patina blackened from this). The weight of the coin is 3.1 grams, the diameter is about 20 mm. The blank is thick enough but has clipped (but worn out now) edges. I have no doubts about the authenticity of this coin.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: A new type of Gabratides follis?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:26:16 am »
Attached below plate is a summary with published coins of this class, mainly, except for Nos. 2 and 3 (St. Demetrius variety), this is the folles with St. Theodore.
I would like to note that the image of Christ on the reverse of the coin with St. Eugene is very similar to the image of Christ, which is on the reverse of  St. Demetrius follis Nos. 2.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:19 am »
I am not quite confident in this topic, so I do not exclude that I am mistaken, and this coin refers to something else. Therefore, I ask for your opinion on this interesting (I hope) case.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:08:48 am »
I hope I get to see one in hand someday. Thanks for posting.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 04:34:08 pm »
This new coin is certainly very similar to DOC IV 11 of Trebizond (Grierson 1012), one of a series of types which are generally attributed to the Gabras family in Trebizond in the 12th century (although Antioch has also been suggested as the source of at least some of these types).

But the flan doesn't show the characteristic polygonal shape of the Gabras types (wear notwithstanding), so this coin would seem to belong to a separate series.

Ross G.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:24:01 am »
Yes, me myself a little confused by the softness of the corners of the coin blank. But there are still traces of cutting. The coin DOC IV 11 of Trebizond (Grierson 1012) indicated by you is the type of follis with St. Theodore (look at the my plate).
And I forgot to put here the coin's die axis: 180 degrees, if it interested.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 04:19:53 pm »
Yes, it's hard to judge from just one example.

And the die axis is certainly always relevant with new Byzantine types, as it normally should be 180 degrees. Fakes often get this wrong.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity