Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Diadumenian?  (Read 916 times)

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
Fake Diadumenian?
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:02:54 pm »
I won this Diadumenian at an auction from what I thought was a reputable German auction house, but several people have warned me that this coin is a forgery bsed primarily on the obverse portrait style.

Many thanks,

David Fischer

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Fake Diadumenian?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:40 pm »
There is a very useful ressource on this site :Fake Coin Report. You can use the "search" fonction to find many forgeries of this Emperor.
DT

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:56:50 am »
"but several people have warned me that this coin is a forgery bsed primarily on the obverse portrait style"

Who warned you?  ;) ???

Coin was sold in recent auction of a German auction house AS BECKER FORGERY together with other Becker forgeries. They were listed in extra category under Medaillen and there was an extra undercategory  BECKERSCHE FÄLSCHUNGEN, where they were listed  and in description it was clearly stated that they are Becker forgeries (in German "BECKERSCHE FÄLSCHUNGEN") so I do not understand the question!!! They even mentioned the number in Hill (Hill, Becker 191) ;)
This forgery was sold for 75 Euro + buyers premium it should be clear that you can not get an authentic coin if it is sold as fake and price is so low together with other Becker fakes.
The prices of this Becker fakes were in most cases much lower than for authentic ones except maybe the extremely rare Septimius Severus forgery (first one I have seen in my life) that sold for 75 Euro + premium which is about the price for an authentic one or maybe a little bit higher.

Lot description

Los 7333. BECKERSCHE FÄLSCHUNGEN, RÖMISCHE MÜNZEN KAISERZEIT Macrinus für Diadumenianus. Denar, Rom; 4,96 g.
Drapierte und geharnischte Büste r.//Prinz steht l. mit Standarte und Zepter, dahinter zwei Standarten.

Hill, Becker 191; RIC zu 102. Fast vorzüglich

If you do not translate description to English where it stated fake and ask your self why the coin is not listed under ancient Roman coins but in category Medaillen and there under BECKERSCHE FÄLSCHUNGEN and the price is appropriate for a forgery but not for an ancient coin of this type, then the problem is you and not the auction house.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:02:38 am »
Fake coin report please. Also, any volunteers to add the rest of the Becker's from this sale? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:32:17 am »
You are absolutely right, it is my own fault. I was watching their live auction, where each item in the lot pops up and you have about 4 seconds to place a bid. They had several lots of genuine Greek and Roman coins earlier in the day, and when I saw the Diadumenian flash by later I jumped on it not seeing the category change or the description with the Becker information. That's what I get for not doing my due diligence. Thank you for taking the time to respond though, I sincerely appreciate it.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 08:48:51 am »
Fake coin report please. Also, any volunteers to add the rest of the Becker's from this sale? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity