Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caligula- Three Sisters - Opinions on authenticity  (Read 569 times)

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
Caligula- Three Sisters - Opinions on authenticity
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:29:22 pm »
I bought this coin from a UK eBay antique seller. They advertised the coin as “Drusilla probably Roman found in grandfathers belongings” I offered them 100 GBP and they accepted it. Got it in the mail today. It’s about 35mm and almost 20g (seems light?). In hand you can see how much it’s been scrubbed down. Under the scope there’s a promising amount of ancient looking dirt and some remnants of what could be green and red patina. The edge also has a good build up of said material. There’s also a big hole going through near the top that is full of crusty gunk. And finally there appears to be slivering in a couple patches on the surface and just under the gunk which I found suspicious.

Take a look and let me know if you think this is real or a reproduction or what!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Caligula- Three Sisters - Opinions on authenticity
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:11:48 pm »
Looks very much like this one:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-14065

So probably an after cast of a paduan.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Re: Caligula- Three Sisters - Opinions on authenticity
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:40:42 am »
For me that´s clearly a modern cast fake. No doubt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity