Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justinian I AE Follis - Cyzicus Mint - Opinions Please  (Read 732 times)

Offline Len V

• Auxiliary
Justinian I AE Follis - Cyzicus Mint - Opinions Please
« on: May 24, 2020, 04:50:10 pm »
Hello there. I am looking for opinions on the coin pictured. This is a coin I've had for some time, but I am wondering if it might possibly be a forgery, so I am looking for some opinions. The reason I have suspicions are mainly due to the strike on the right hand side of the obverse. The cross to the right of the portrait looks like what could almost be described as a triple strike, while the lettering along the right hand side of the obverse also looks to be at least double struck in places.

I have see two other examples of this coin, one from the Nicomedia mint and one from the Constantinople mint, both from the same source and both exhibiting the same type of double striking, though not the same pattern and all 3 are slightly different. However, on all 3 the cross to the right of the portrait and some of the right side lettering are double struck. I find that odd now that I've seen two more coins.

I didn't upload pictures of those because I do not own those coins and the forum rules said to only post about coins you own.

Please give your opinion on the pictured coin. I am not an expert on the ancient minting process but I know enough about it to think that double strikes like this are probably possible. Just looking for other points of view.

Thanks,

Len

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Justinian I AE Follis - Cyzicus Mint - Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
suspicious coin, wear pattern seems inconsistent, flan very similar to other fakes. Curiously its seems to be a die strike similar to the SBVC 207 plate coin. Copy?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 06:19:58 pm »
No problem. It seems the die has been recut for some reason.

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:12:43 pm »
What are your thoughts of it being from the same die as the plate coin in sbvc?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:45:31 am »
What are your thoughts of it being from the same die as the plate coin in sbvc?

The obverses are very similar but there are differences - due to wear and reworking of the die  perhaps?

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity