Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Syracuse Octopus Coin  (Read 646 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Syracuse Octopus Coin
« on: May 23, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the following coin I have recently purchased. The coin weighs 4.3g and around 17mm (difficult to measure due to the shape). I have narrowed it down to 2 attributions and just need a pointer to confirm this first attribution is correct?

SICILY: Syracuse. Ca. 425 BC. AE tetras . Female head right, hair tied at top of head, two dolphins flanking neck / Octopus, three pellets (mark of value) in field. SNG ANS 376-381. SNG Morcom 675-676.

Alongside this, I have noticed on the obverse there is some sort of writing/stamp on the forehead of the bust - can anybody identify what this may be?

Thanks
Steve

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Re: Syracuse Octopus Coin
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:07:10 pm »
Thank you Altamura for confirming this, its was a coin I was fairly confident with the attribution then I managed to plant a seed of doubt in my own mind so needed a second pair of eyes

On the second question, am I seeing things or is there lettering on the forehead of the obverse?

Thanks
Steve

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:44:06 am »
Hi sim,

You shouldn't have doubted yourself.

Actually, on your example, the city name is clearly visible in the obverse legend: "SYPA".

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 07:52:43 am »
Quote removed above. Please do not use quotes to respond unless it is necessary to prevent confusion about to whom you are responding. If you are responding to the immediately preceding post, quotes are almost certainly not necessary. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 08:00:21 am »
Apologies Joe, won’t do it again

Thanks
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity