Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Trausnitz Collection? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trausnitz Collection?  (Read 153 times)
Delaunay1881
Legionary

« on: May 22, 2020, 05:14:02 pm »

Hello, Everyone,

I recently bought a Roman coin from the Trausnitz Collection (Germany). I know Roma recently auctioned one or two examples and that previously Nomos sold some from this collection, too. But does anyone know anything about this collection or who the collector was other than he was German?

Best wishes,

Anthony
shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:45:38 am »

I don't know if this is just a name match, but there is the famous Trausnitz collection in castle Trausnitz, which includes also ancient coins.

https://www.burg-trausnitz.de/englisch/kunst/index.htm

n.igma
Caesar

Life is bigger than a Tweet.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:07:36 am »

Given the quoted provenances of the Trausnitz Collection coins in recent auctions include acquisition dates in the years 1985-2005 a link to the 16th Century Trausnitz Castle collection seems unlikely.

Rather, Trausnitz, a municipality in the district of Schwandorf in Bavaria may be the home of the collector that consigned the coins and thus the source of the moniker applied the collection by auction house to give the coins some false gravitas in the marketing. One of the auction houses identified is renown for this sort of ploy, applying meaningless pseudo-provenances to many of its coins such as "from the inventory of a Bavarian merchant" or a "Californian collection" etc.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.
Delaunay1881
Legionary

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 03:03:22 pm »

Thank you for this. Ah! I see ... yes, I understand what you are saying about added gravitas. Fortunately, the coin I purchased is in lovely condition and I did not buy it for the supposed provenance of 'Trausnitz Collection'. However, I can see that I have missed a trick here and I can think of a number of auction houses that indulge in this gravitas game - it explains why I have rarely been ablve to find these supposed 'collectors'. Thank you for opening my eyes to this aspect of the game.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Trausnitz Collection? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop