Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What causes this ring patina?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
What causes this ring patina?
« on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:31 am »
Hey guys,

I'm wondering why this patina is the way it is on this ring, would it be caused of extensive cleaning or something else?

Thanks (:

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: What causes this ring patina?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:50 am »
Hard to tell from such a photo.

Is the green powdery or hard?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:53:19 am »
Hard to tell from such a photo.

Is the green powdery or hard?

SC

It appears to be very smooth, I have send you a private message with a better photo (:

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:37:26 pm »
You should have posted your better photo here.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 12:57:33 pm »
Here is a better photo sorry.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:30:36 pm »
It might simply be the remains of a genuine patina that has been over-cleaned.

It is a bit worrying that there appears to be no patina at all in the letters.  Is that accurate or just from the photo?

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:39:24 pm »
It might simply be the remains of a genuine patina that has been over-cleaned.

It is a bit worrying that there appears to be no patina at all in the letters.  Is that accurate or just from the photo?

SC

I was just looking to pick this up at a well established auctionhouse with a vetting committee of over eight external experts that check items before they are allowed into each sale so I doubt something fake would be likely to get into the auction and it's the reason I decided to bid on it.

I zoomed in a little and I found some spots of patina left on the letters but it's only a little.It's quite hard to see but in some letters you can still see green small spots and in the sides too overlapping but most seem to be cleaned off, probably overcleaned to much. Also the little cuts on the side hold some patina still and easier noticeable when zoomed in. Would it be fair to assume they focused on cleaning the letters and the motif, I have no idea how it was cleaned but seeing some spots still on the letters even tho it's only a little means there was atleast at some point some patina on it. It's 8 grams, 22.59mm overall, 17.86mm internal diameter.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity