Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carnelian ring with imprint of Minerva/Athena, authentic?  (Read 1695 times)

Mads P

Carnelian ring with imprint of Minerva/Athena, authentic?
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:06:04 am »
First of all, sorry for contributing to the «pls identify” posts, but my two local antiquity-stores only identify coins, not rings like these. Haven’t received the ring in person yet, but paid about [REMOVED BY ADMIN] for it, bought from a UK eBay seller. I know eBay is risky, and at least the seller said he was taking full responsibility and a full refund if I was unhappy with the ring, he also only has positive reviews but that does not prove anything. I did ask this on Reddit, and they mostly told me to be wary, most of all because of the seller's other items, which seems to be a mix of authentic and fake objects. His eBay username is [REMOVED BY ADMIN], and here is a link to his page: [REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thanks a lot in advance!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Carnelian ring with imprint of Minerva/Athena, authentic?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:29:10 pm »
Welcome to the Classical Numismatics Discussion Board.  I don't know if the ring is genuine or not.  You will find this discussion has many very helpful experts, perhaps one of them will know more about the ring.

You should check our Notorious Fake Seller List and see if your seller is listed. If they are, the seller is a criminal fraud and odds are very high your item is fake. If they are listed, you should assume the ring is fake.

One bit of advice we always stress here is - know the coin (or in this case, ring), or know the seller. You must either trust your own knowledge and expertise of the item, or trust the sellers reputation, expertise, and guarantee. If you don't know either the ring or the seller, do not buy.  Unless or until you have expertise, you must only buy from reputable sellers with expertise and a guarantee.  

We do have quite a few rules here and you have broken a few.  Not a big problem, but just so you know next time.  We never talk about prices. This is meant to be a interesting discussion about numismatics, history, mythology, etc. and talking about prices detracts from that. We do not name sellers or link to eBay or commercial sites. There are limited exceptions but your post does not fit those.  

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Mads P

Re: Carnelian ring with imprint of Minerva/Athena, authentic?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:05:59 pm »
Hello, thanks for clearing that up, I will edit the post further to comply better with the forum rules. Thank you as well for the pointers, I do not see the seller on the list you linked, but I hope someone knowledgeable will provide further insight.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity