Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus Colonia Patricia 16 B.C. or Vindex Civil War 68 A.D.  (Read 450 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
This coin was consigned as Vindex, Civil War, 68 A.D., Name and Types of Augustus. It is ex Roma and that is how they attributed it, claiming the style was different and the weight lighter than the similar lifetime Augustus denarii.  I find the lifetime Augustus denarii in BnF I look very very similar and one listed there is this light. I am leaning toward 16 B.C. Any opinions?

3.507g, 18.1mm, 90 deg. die axis.

RS94478. Silver denarius, RIC 82; BMCRE 46, VF, lightly toned, flow lines, slightly porous, small edge cracks, weight 3.507 g, maximum diameter 18.1 mm, die axis 90o, uncertain mint in Spain or Gaul mint, c. 68 A.D.; obverse bare head of Augustus right, linear border, anepigraphic; reverse capricorn right, filleted cornucopia overflowing with grain and fruit on its back, celestial globe and rudder with tiller held between hooves, AVGVSTVS below, linear border; from an Israeli collection, ex Roma Numismatics e-auction 3 (25 Oct 2018), lot 650
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Augustus Colonia Patricia 16 B.C. or Vindex Civil War 68 A.D.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:51:47 am »
I guess it is a difficult question!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »
Joe, how about the rudder before the globe?  Most of the Augustus examples I can find online have a fairly well defined rudder. The Civil War versions either are missing the rudder or have only a schematic representation, almost as if the Celators did not understand (or didn't care about) the symbolism.
Eugene

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:30:03 am »
Edessa made a great observation there. The rudder does seem to be very prominent on virtually all of the Augustus issues. Combining what I saw on a few different sites, it looks like the Vindex issues are supposed to have a minimal or absent rudder and a thick cornucopia. As far as weights go, one article I found from 1949 by Kraay states that civil war coins are attributed to Spain based on style and reduced weight, but the article doesn't give details about what aspects of style they are referring to.

Kraay, THE COINAGE OF VINDEX AND GALBA, A.D. 68, AND THE CONTINUITY OF THE
AUGUSTAN PRINCIPATE.   https://www.jstor.org/stable/42661414

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 09:45:44 am »
The blade of the rudder is between the body of Capricorn and the inscription. It is present but weakly struck, as is the globe. Thanks Eugene.

I just took a look at another reference that I had not examined before RSC. RSC I Augustus 21 is the Augustus issue, the style of the plate coin is very similar to this one. RIC II Civil War 21a notes "This is as Augustus 21, but of a different style." Indeed the plate coin is of a different style. All the plate coins I have seen in various references for the Augustus issue are similar to this coin and plate coins identified as civil war are a different style. I am still thinking the coin in question is from the Augustus issue, but I am sending it to NGC as requested by the consignor.  I certainly could be wrong.

Click to see Augustus / Capricorn Denarii in the ANS

I didn't have the Kraay article on my list of references for the Civil War of 68. No plate of this type but, it is a worthy addition to the list and to use for future references. Thanks, Edessa.

References for the Civil War of 68-69 A.D.
American Numismatic Society (ANS) Collections Database Online - http://numismatics.org/search/search
Banti, A. & L. Simonetti. Corpus Nummorum Romanorum. (Florence, 1972-1979).
Burnett, A., M. Amandry & P. Ripollès. Roman Provincial Coinage I: From the death of Caesar to the death of Vitellius (44 BC-AD 69). (London, 1992 and supplement).
Calicó, X. The Roman Avrei, Vol. I: From the Republic to Pertinax, 196 BC - 193 AD. (Barcelona, 2003).
Cohen, H. Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'Empire Romain, Vol. 1: Pompey to Domitian. (Paris, 1880).
Giard, J. Le monnayage de l'atelier de Lyon, De Claude Ier à Vespasien (41-78 après J.-C.), et au temps de Clodius Albinus (196-197 après J.-C.). (Wetteren, 2000).
Giard, J. Bibliothèque National Catalogue Monnaies de L'Empire Romain II: De Tebère à Néron. (Paris, 1988).
King, C. Roman Quinarii from the Republic to Diocletian and the Tetrarchy. (Oxford, 2007).
Kraay, C. "The Coinage of Vindex and Galba, A.D. 68, and the Continuity of the Augustan Principate" in NC 1949, pp. 129-149.
Mac Dowall, D. The Western Coinages of Nero. ANSNNM 161. (New York, 1979).
Mattingly, H. & R. Carson. Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum, Vol 1: Augustus to Vitellius. (London, 1923).
Robinson, A. Roman Imperial Coins in the Hunter Coin Cabinet, University of Glasgow, Vol. I. Augustus to Nerva. (Oxford, 1962).
Seaby, H. & R. Loosley. Roman Silver Coins, Vol. II: Tiberius to Commodus. (London, 1979).
Sear, D. Roman Coins and Their Values, The Millennium Edition, Volume One, The Republic and the Twelve Caesars 280 BC - AD 86. (London, 2000).
Sutherland, C. The Roman Imperial Coinage, Vol. I, From 39 BC to AD 69. (London, 1984).
Toynbee, J. Roman medallions. ANSNS 5. (New York, 1944).
Vagi, D. Coinage and History of the Roman Empire. (Sidney, 1999).

From Kraay Vindex (Now added to NumisWiki too)...

"These issues are attributed to Spain on grounds of style, and to this date by their reduced Neronian weight, and by the conjunction on some specimens of civil war reverse types with obverse head of Augustus. Sometimes types are reproduced which had originally been struck in the Spanish mints of Augustus, as, for example, the capricorn, the comet of Divus Julius [Pl. IX. 20] and the clupeus virtutis; others had been types of Lugdunum, such as the famous C. and L. Caesares coin [Pl. IX. 21], or the butting bull. On the whole it was the long-term aspects of Augustus that were revived; the capricorn and the cornucopiae showed the prosperity which it was his destiny to bring to the empire; Victoria and Pax his triumph at Actium and the termination of civil war; the corona civica and the clupeus virtutis, the possession of those qualities which were the foundation of he principate; C. and L. Caesares his providentia for the future of the Empire."

Click to see Civil War of 68 A.D. Coins in the Forum Shop.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity