Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II coin with a star not included in RIC  (Read 846 times)

Offline Marco M4

• Legionary
Constantius II coin with a star not included in RIC
« on: May 20, 2020, 05:34:58 pm »
Hi.
I have same classification problems according to the RIC

This coin has the following characteristics

measures 21x21 mm

weight: 3,84 g.

coinage axis: 6

Front side: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG - Bust of Constantius II, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, left, holding globe in right hand - PDC-G left

Reverse side: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO - Constantius II, draped, cuirassed, standing left, holding standard with Chi-Rho on banner in right hand and resting left hand on shield; before him, two captives standing

Sign Mint: ...KB*(star): I suppose Cyzicus.

My classification is RIC VIII Cyzicus 70   348-350 AD

But the presence of the star in the sign mint is not mentioned on http://numismatics.org/ocre/?lang=en and in Helvetica excel file of http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

What do you think about?

Offline agord

• Consul
Re: Constantius II coin with a star not included in RIC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 09:02:20 pm »
Hard to tell from your photo, but could it be CONSB* ? The only listed 2 captives type with a star at the end of the mintmark and no field mark is Constantinople 87.

Offline Marco M4

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:08:35 pm »
This is my problem!

it's seem a K (or H or R) but non an S

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:57:44 pm »
I would read that as an H, making your coin an unlisted issue from Heraclea. I have found a few other unlisted issues from this time ,so that is a possibility.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:07 am »
The style looks consistent with Heraclea.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:44:00 am »
I believe that this is an expected mark and matches the star-in-field issue of the falling horseman type.

Nice find.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Marco M4

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:22:41 pm »
Otlichnik  thanks.
I don't konw star-in-field issue of the falling horseman type.
Can you explain me or write some link of discussion?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Your coin was part of a series of six different coin types, in three denominations/sizes, all with the legend FEL TEMP REPARATIO.

They were issued at about a dozen mints.  There were several major series (a total of six, but only the Falling Horseman type was struck during all six series).  Within each series there were often more than one issue struck at each mint.

So for Heraclea, the first series had two issues for the falling horseman type with marks SMHA and then * in field, SMHA (often shown as *-/SMHA). 

Your type seems to have also had two matching issues, SMHA and SMHA*. 

So you can see that the second issue of the first series at Heraclea is distinguished by the *, but this * can be in the field or the exergue depending on coin type.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity