Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Byzantine Seal with Large K - Tatikios? 6th Century 17 mm 4.86 g  (Read 638 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I am working on identifying an unusual (at least to me). early Byzantine seal.  It measures 17 mm and weighs 4.86 g.  
On the obverse, there is a large  :Greek_Kappa: and  :A3:  - There is also possibly a  :Greek_Nu: and a  :Greek_Upsilon:  within a dotted ring
On the reverse, the is a column like monogram with  :Greek_Tau: C or  :GreeK_Sigma:  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2:  within a dotted ring

Could it solve Τατίκιος -Seal of Tatikios?  It appears to be 6th Century is age to me.

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Yes, 6th/7th century. A single name divided into two monograms is very unconventional, perhaps even non-existent. So I think it is preferable to see if these monograms can be solved separately first, and I think they can. I would propose to read the personal name IOVCTOV (Justus/Ioustos) on one side, and the common rank of 'kandidatos' KA(ndidatou) shortened on the other.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you Gert
I was playing with the name Ioustos because of the apparent large Iota, like the example below from Dumbarton Oaks below/  But the type of monogram confused me.  It is neither a block monogram nor a cruciform monogram.  Is there a specific name for this type?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Not that I know of.
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity