Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Theodore, imperial kandidatos and droungarios but of what? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Theodore, imperial kandidatos and droungarios but of what?  (Read 189 times)
iolkia
Consul

« on: May 15, 2020, 04:33:42 am »

Dear board, here a seal from my tiny collection that I can't find in my references. What puzzles me are the letters at the bottom line.

Our Theodore was droungarios of what or where?

Any ideas?

18.03 gr
26 mm

Regards
Iolkia

Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:20:34 am »

I have no idea about this seal. The obverse has some questions as well: there's a cross in the middle, in stead of the expected theta. Could also be a letter phi. Also, the delta above is another letter I can't explain.

The last line would seem to be his command. I could not think of any likely solution. Could be unpublished of course. CVPIAC maybe? Could not find this attested though. Known commands starting with S do not fit (Samos, Seleukia, Sardinia, tou stolou).
Regards
Gert

iolkia
Consul

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:16:20 am »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Well, I have no idea about the unusual cross instead of the theta in the middle of the obverse either. Nor about the Delta. I have been searching for parallel obverses since your post but with no avail. The only explanation I can think of, is that it stands for "Despoina" refering to Theotokos. But this is wild imagination. I have no idea whether such monograms exist.

Regarding the reverse, Syria seems to be a plausible solution. I suppose we have to wait for the next specimen.

Regards
Iolkia

Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 12:31:10 pm »

Could it be EX or CX on the last line? In fact, looking at the letter size, X would fit better wouldn't it?
Gert

iolkia
Consul

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:24:39 am »

Yes, both CE and CX would be possible, although the other E in the name is quite different. I could even be C Greek_omega_small
Could CΩΖΟΠΟΛΙC be an option?

Regards
Iolkia

Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 01:18:31 am »

I fear two half letters are too little to go on without a parallel...
Gert

iolkia
Consul

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »

I fear you might ne right!

Regards
Iolkia

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Theodore, imperial kandidatos and droungarios but of what? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop