Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I wondered how significant this discovery is ?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
I wondered how significant this discovery is ?
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:17:47 am »
I wondered how significant this discovery is ?

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/rare-1900-year-old-bar-kochba-coin-unveiled-ahead-of-lag-baomer-627638

And if the coin listed in FORVM Coin Shop is from the same group ?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?rrd=1&vpar=18&zpg=97969

Thank You,

Apologies if posted in wrong spot.

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
Re: I wondered how significant this discovery is ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:03 pm »
Any share ?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:57:04 pm »
It is an interesting find, an interesting coin, and I enjoyed reading the article. My idea of a "significant" find, however, is usually one that changes our understanding of history. The location of the find arouses curiosity, but it does not change our understanding of history. As you have seen in the shop, Bar Kochba coins are common enough to be affordable.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Henriette A

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:38:01 pm »
Thank you so much president Sermarini.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:00:59 pm »
When the article calls them rare, it refers to them as in or at Jerusalem.  A souvenir picked up by a Roman soldier, is possible.  But proclaiming the free state of Jerusalem (which is what possession of this coin would mean), could be very hazardous to your health.  I doubt that any self-respecting soldier would do that consciously.  _To_me_ more likely is that it was picked up as a coin amongst many, and they (it) were not looked at very closely.  It would interesting to know what setting it was found in, where there other coins, or was it a trace find?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity