Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: English hammered coin  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
English hammered coin
« on: May 10, 2020, 07:39:51 pm »
I am having trouble identifying this coin, even with my copy of Spink(North). Is this possibly a contemporary counterfit of one of the three Edwads?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: English hammered coin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 11:16:34 pm »
These coins are hard to identify. I've had some success with the following website:

https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm

The illustrations are at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:29:56 pm »
Thanks Callimachus---I will bang on that site some more, though I have used it, along with this one-- http://www.psdetecting.com/Inscriptions.html. I have Spink also.

This coin does have me stumped  :)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »
Is this possibly a contemporary counterfit of one of the three Edwads?

Another possibility is that officially-minted imitations were struck in the low countries. As such, they are not technically counterfeits. Stkp

Offline St. George's Collection

• Praetorian
    • My medieval coins
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:17:36 am »
The coin is photographed quite dark and it is hard to make out the crown features, which is key to identifying the type.

My impression is that it is a sterling penny of Edward II, based on the lettering.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity