Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dressel and Regling, "Zwei ägyptische Funde altgriechischer Silbermünzen" Plates  (Read 764 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Does anyone know where I can get the plates to this work:

Heinrich Dressel and K. Regling, "Zwei ägyptische Funde altgriechischer Silbermünzen," Zeitschift fuer Numismatik (Berlin: Weidmannsche Buchhandlung, 1927) Taf. 1-6.

The essay itself is here, but no plates: http://numismatics.org/zfn/38060000322982/46752.pdf

I'm looking for this coin: page 70, no. 122/ Berlin 1902/681, 3.5g, which features Acheloios!

Nick

Online Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Thanks, Altamura!

Online Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Do you know the article by Kory Konuk, "Orou, dynaste de carie", about this coin type?: https://www.academia.edu/332820/Orou_dynaste_de_Carie
1.2 on the plate seems to be the specimen shown in the Dressel and Regling article (at least at a first glance).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I did not, thank you.  In the article that cited the Dressel paper they compared the coin to an early Milesian stater based on iconography and the weight standard, but there was no picture.  When I saw the plate I knew the coin and that it was Carian, and the comparison was ultimately unfounded (I was hoping it was a new Milesian coin).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity