Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RPC search engine question  (Read 790 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
RPC search engine question
« on: May 08, 2020, 04:39:56 pm »
On the advanced search page of RPC, why does the keyboard provided for obverse and reverse legends omit the letters C and S?  And why does it have E but no Epsilon?  There may be others but these are the most problematic for me.

For example, most if not all, obverse legends of  Elagabalus coins of Alexandria, Egypt  end with ƐΥϹƐΒ.  However if I search EYCEB, I get no hits. 

The search page warns: "Some experience of the material may be necessary."  I obviously don't have the experience.  Would someone educate me?

Charles M.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: RPC search engine question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »
Maybe you should send directly a PM to the director of RPC online, Jerome Mairat.
He is known here on Forvm as : Jerome M.
DT

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 03:20:10 am »
You are right, I never noticed that.

Even if you copy the ƐΥϹƐΒ from the description of a coin within RPC online and paste it into the search you don't find it.
So you don't find everything what's in the database with the search function  :(. Good to know that.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 08:57:10 am »
Exactly Altamura.   Now I have found if all the letters from a partial legend are on that keyboard then the search works.  Again I'm sure there's a work around, I just don't know it.  To Dominic's point above I was hoping Jerome would join in here.  If he doesn't in a couple of days, I will PM him and share his response if he consents.

Charles M.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:54:27 am »

My observations point that the search tesaurus uses only the regular Greek
letters. The rounded letters are no good for search.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity