Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Would You Clean this Myrina, Aeolis AR Tetradrachm? If so how?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Would you clean this coin?  If so, how?

Myrina, Aeolis AR Tetradrachm? If so how? Myrina, Aeolis AR Tetradrachm. ca 150-140 BC. Laureate head of Apollo right, hair in three loose braids / MYΡINAIΩN, Apollo of Grynium standing right, holding phiale in right hand & filleted branch in left, omphalos & amphora before feet, monogram in outer left field, all within laurel wreath.

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Would You Clean this Myrina, Aeolis AR Tetradrachm? If so how?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:51:06 am »
On the pictures it doesn't look like silver  :-\. Are you sure that it is?

Regards

Altamura

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:23:51 pm »
Also, the exact weight is very important, and may partially answer Altamura's question. Suggest you provide it.
PeteB

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:13:46 pm »
The coin measures 27.94 mm and weighs 11.37 grams.  I thought it looked possibly of some type of debased silver - though I know that fakes in silver have come from a Beruit workshop See "Myrina and Related Forgeries", ANS Museum Notes vol. 30

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 01:47:35 pm »
11.37 grams.  

Not enough for a tetradrachm. Usually it is something between 16-17g.

This one has the same monogram:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3947467

All coins are guaranteed for eternity