Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legio III silver ring? HELP  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Legio III silver ring? HELP
« on: April 26, 2020, 04:54:24 am »
Hello!

I've been thinking about buying a roman ring and before actually buying this I want somebody to give me an opinion on the matter. It's been in the guy's collection for over 20 years. It's made of silver, weighs 5 grams and is 18x20mm.

Thoughts?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Legio III silver ring? HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:45:52 am »
The form or shape matches a genuine Roman one - type IIIa in the Aquincum (Budapest) ring catalogue typology.

One caveat.  The idea that a roman numeral on a ring equals a legion number is entirely unproven.  It is only guesswork and speculation among dealers and collectors.  As far as I know, there is no other proof - no historical reference and not even any indication that such rings are most commonly found in soldier's graves or on military sites. 

By contrast we do know that when Roman legions are referred to in a proven and unambiguous way, for example on roof tiles or belt sets or engraved on other gear, they are always LEGIII or LIII, not III.

In other words, a III could stand for anything - the month someone was born in, the number of children they have, their apartment number, etc. 

We all want to believe it means legion number because that is the coolest answer.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity