Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds has moved to a new Host  (Read 3079 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Wildwinds has moved to a new Host
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »
After experiencing some problems with wildwinds' previous host in the USA, wildwinds has moved to a new host, based in England. All the files have now been migrated but some people may have experienced problems during the migration, i.e. the upload tool which some special people  ;D have access to, or files which had not yet been moved.
In this case, please delete all wildwinds.com files from your History and Cache (but not from your bookmarks) and try again. You might also try using the Refresh several times, or CTRL and F5 because you need to clear out the old error pages such as "404 not found" etc which will still be being fetched from your cache (default setting on all browsers).

The upload of some coin additions today was much much faster than the previous US server. I am also hoping that - in contrast to the previous server - the new mail server is set up in such a way that emails and replies from my wildwinds.com address won't be seen as spam by yahoo, gmail, hotmail and several universities ...

Stay healthy, everyone !

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Wildwinds has moved to a new Host
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:45:28 pm »
That's great to hear. Loads much faster for me. +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 08:08:01 pm »
Many thanks for the good work with this indispensable reference tool.
DT

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:14:35 pm »
Great work, Dane!
Thanks!
PeteB

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:52:15 pm »
Thanks for the great work.
Best,
Larry

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:24 am »
Wildwinds and other numismatic sites have been  critical to spreading  and continuing numismatic  information.   Please make arrangements with permanent institutions to archive your work.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 11:01:33 am »
Please make arrangements with permanent institutions to archive your work.

The permanent institution is currently called "Danes NAS" (4-disk home server) on my rather large desk, plus a backup to a different disk on the NAS at 01:30, another backup to a separate hard disk (not in the NAS) at 02:30 and yet another backup at 03:30 to a different, separate hard disk (not in the NAS)...  :)

In addition, as I have mentioned to Joe in emails several times, I am unable to update my RIC xls lists here on forum because I did not receive the correct FTP information when the settings were changed. So you still have to go to my catbikes.ch page to get the latest versions of all my xls files.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:14:48 pm »
Hi hel,

Thanks for informing us.

Keep up the good work. :)

Meepzorp

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:46 am »
After experiencing some problems with wildwinds' previous host in the USA, wildwinds has moved to a new host, based in England. All the files have now been migrated but some people may have experienced problems during the migration, i.e. the upload tool which some special people  ;D have access to, or files which had not yet been moved.
In this case, please delete all wildwinds.com files from your History and Cache (but not from your bookmarks) and try again. You might also try using the Refresh several times, or CTRL and F5 because you need to clear out the old error pages such as "404 not found" etc which will still be being fetched from your cache (default setting on all browsers).

The upload of some coin additions today was much much faster than the previous US server. I am also hoping that - in contrast to the previous server - the new mail server is set up in such a way that emails and replies from my wildwinds.com address won't be seen as spam by yahoo, gmail, hotmail and several universities ...

Stay healthy, everyone !

Thank you, Dane,  +++

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 03:38:56 pm »
Thank you Dane. I am glad that you are the custodian for this valuable resource.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 08:59:24 pm »
Please note, the new host in England may need to reboot our server now and again, for example to apply an update to one of the functions. This will usually take place at 4 a.m or 5 a.m. London time in order to cause the least interruptions for wildwinds visitors in Europe and the US.
So you can check and remember what your local time is, when it is 4 or 5 a.m. London time, and if you have a problem accessing wildwinds at that time, you know why, and just need to wait until the server has rebooted.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 04:38:23 am »
Thank you for all your hard work with Wildwinds, its an invaluable resource

Steve

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 07:46:29 am »
A quick update.
The moushmov/ files used to be in the main, uppermost folder, instead of in the same folder as e.g. /ric, /greece, /brit etc. So last night all the /moushmov files were moved and are now in the /coins/ tree.

Put in simpler form, if you have the moushmov page in your bookmarks as
www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/......
please change it or them to
www.wildwinds.com/coins/moushmov/......

I think I managed to change all the appropriate links on the city pages etc. but if I missed one (or if my AgentRansack program missed one), please let me know which page is still pointing to the old moushmov page link.
You may have to refresh the page in your browser, because most browsers insist on using old stuff in the cache.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity