Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question On Reverse of Larissian Bull Wrestling Drachm  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Question On Reverse of Larissian Bull Wrestling Drachm
« on: April 22, 2020, 06:04:12 pm »
Greetings,

I have a question about the coin below, and any assistance will be appreciated.

On the rev. the rein in front of the horse unmistakably ends in the shape of an arrow. I can find nothing in HGC or Lorber or Herrmann noting this. Is anyone aware of a discussion of this particular fact in any of the Larissian coinage literature?

Thank you.

Tracy

Denomination: silver drachm; Mint: Larissa; Weight: 5.47g; Diameter: 19.5mm: Die axis: 90º; References, for example: Weber 2834 var. no mention of plant between legs or TO in obv. exergue; Herrmann Group III Series C pl. II, 1; BCD Thessaly I 1123 var. reverse legend; BCD Thessaly II 366.1; HGC 4 416 var. no mention of plant between legs.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Question On Reverse of Larissian Bull Wrestling Drachm
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:05:33 pm »
...and of course I couldn't get the image to upload. It is in my gallery here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-162524

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:03:34 am »

BCD Thessaly II 366.1 does mention: "below, small plant growing from the ground line"

Pekka K

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:31:27 am »
…  BCD Thessaly II 366.1 does mention: "below, small plant growing from the ground line" ...
She is talking about the rein of the horse on the other side of the coin  :-\.

Here BCD Thessaly II 366.1 (which is this coin: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1174307 ) just says "bridled horse with loose rein prancing r." with no further comments.

BCD Thessaly I 1123 (this coin: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997423 ) also does not mention this special feature of the rein.

I don't think that this is an arrow, perhaps only some sort of tassel or similar ornament.

Regards

Altamura

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:39:29 am »
It's not only visible on this type, but also e.g. here:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6337676

or in more detail here:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1283440

Seems to be part of the halter/headcollar

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 05:07:42 pm »
Thank you everyone. To me it is so obviously in the shape of an arrow that I thought perhaps somewhere in the literature someone might have theorized on a possible meaning.

Be well.

Tracy

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:52:46 pm »
This does appear to be a depiction of the bridle; some fine staters of Larissa show the design very clearly.

I’m sure posting the question and coin on a horse forum would give an insightful answer.

Photo credits to CNG

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 03:47:21 pm »
Pharsalos,

Thank you for the additional pictures, which really clarify the issue.

Tracy

Offline sculptor17

• Praetorian
  • Dedicated to beauty and harmony in art
    • Glenn Terry Fine Artist
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:39:52 pm »
I think the arrow shape is incidental, not intentionally meant to appear arrow-like. It is a reinforced element to lend strength for the tension forces at that point. Seeing the same item depicted facing instead of profile would help, or as suggested, someone who knows about horses and historical equipment for them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity