Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Avar Strap end questions  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Avar Strap end questions
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:37:46 pm »
Ave!

Copper alloy; c. 31mm/5.0gm for each

Everything was made for a specific purpose, right? But for the life of me, I cannot figure out these were used/attached to the strap.

As seen in the photo, each has small and moveable pendent. The one the left and in the middle appear to have been repaired.

What is confusing me is that from the reverse shape, it would be a perfect fit for a strap end. But if that was the case, the pendent would not move.
The pair seen on the outsides of the photo have holes where a pin may have been attached to the strap; the one in the middle does not.

It makes no sense, you know?

Please elucidate me!

Best regards to all,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Avar Strap end questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 06:34:15 pm »
Those crazy Avars....

The problem is that they had lots of decorations that look very similar.

Yours are not strap ends.  They are belt decorations.  You can see what they basically are if you look at the B&W schematic you have posted.  They are on the wide part of the belt - which was at the wearer's back.  Thou gh yours are a different style from the ones in the schematic.

Avar belt sets consist of some or all of the following:

Buckles - sometimes plain, but often with a built-in decorated plate.

Three types of Belt Plates:
- Tiny plates for any part of the belt.  These were usually triangular, pointed, or half-round and had small holes for attachment and maybe a big hole for decoration.
- Medium-sized plates for the thin part of the belt.
- Medium-sized plates with hinges and small pendants for the wide part of the belt.  The plate is usually the same as the normal medium plate but has a hinge at the bottom.  The tiny pendant is often confusingly similar to the tiny plates, but has a hinge at the top.

Two types of Strap Ends:
- Several medium-sized strap ends for the short leather strapletts that hung down from the belt.
- One large strap end for the end of the belt itself.

The type of decoration (animal, floral, vegetal, etc.) varied over time. 

So did the shape of the belt plates.  They began as rectangular, then oval or shield-shaped, and finally they were the same shape as the strap ends.

So yours are the late type of belt plate.  The large plates were attached to the belt with two rivets.  The small pendants just hung down.  The holes were simply for decoration.  The purpose was likely to jingle and make noise....

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:12:05 pm »
Ave Shawn,

Crazy Avars, indeed!

Thanks for all the info and fresh eyes.

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:23:10 pm »
I have added an Avar page to numiswiki expanding on and illustrating this info.  i will add more on the decorative styles soon.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 02:07:16 pm »
Ave Shawn,

Found the Avar numiswiki!

Thanks; it's excellent!