Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Weights and Scales (Moderator: wileyc)  |  Topic: 3 pcs. Greek Silver Weight Ingots Identification Needed. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 pcs. Greek Silver Weight Ingots Identification Needed.  (Read 698 times)
Krasimir B
Praetorian

« on: April 20, 2020, 05:32:17 am »

Hi Folks!!!
Here are three pieces Greek silver weight ingots found together in the Balkans.
Here are the measures;
1. 27.19gm.   30mm.
2. 49.33gm.    40mm.
3. 31.47gm.   30mm.
Please, any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Regards!!!
glebe
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:54 am »

Very interesting but no idea.

I'd try the Greek forum - someone might recognise the countermarks.

Ross G.

Altamura
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 01:36:50 am »

From the pictures I'm not really convinced of authenticity  Undecided.

The impressions of the countermarks are looking very fresh, as if they have been applied yesterday.
The weights of the three pieces don't appear to follow a common weight standard.
The motifs of the countermarks seem to come from different times and different regions.

Do you know where and under which circumstances these pieces have been found? How did you hear about them?

Regards

Altamura

Krasimir B
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:55:20 am »

There is no doubt about the authenticity of the weights as I personally was durring the escavation of them.
Personally cleaned from me.
Anyway, thanks for the post.
   Best regards!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Weights and Scales (Moderator: wileyc)  |  Topic: 3 pcs. Greek Silver Weight Ingots Identification Needed. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop