Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century  (Read 56 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: March 25, 2020, 05:35:36 am »

I hope that all are safe and healthy in this troubling times

I have acquired an interesting Byzantine seal measuring approximately 22 mm.  On the obverse is

cross  
Greek_Theta_2  Greek_epsilon  Greek_Omicron  Greek_Tau
 Greek_Omicron Greek_Kappa Greek_epsilon Greek_Beta
 Greek_Omicron Greek_Tau Greek_Eta Greek_Iota
cross

On the reverse is

cross  Greek_Tau  Greek_Iota  
Greek_Beta  Greek_epsilon  Greek_Rho  Greek_Iota
 Greek_omega_small  cross

I think that it reads θεοτοκε βοΗθει τιβεριω  = Theotokos, help Tiberius and dates to the 7th or 8th Century.  Have I gotten the age and identity correct?  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:20:14 am »

Yes, nothing to add
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:44:50 am »

Gert , Thank you for your reply!  I looked  through the Dumbarton Oaks collection and somewhat surprisingly found no seals of any τιβεριω other than the Emperors Tiberios I Constantine,   Tiberios II Constantine and Maurice Tiberios.  Especially given the historical nature of the name Tiberius in the Roman Empire.  Have you seen any seals with τιβεριω?  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:09 am »

It is an uncommon name, but it is attested for a number of individuals, on seals and in other sources. Zacos col. has none, but Seyrig col. has a bilingual seal of a Tiberius (no. 354). No doubt you will find more in the published works.
Regards
Gert

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop