Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century  (Read 699 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:36 am »
I hope that all are safe and healthy in this troubling times

I have acquired an interesting Byzantine seal measuring approximately 22 mm.  On the obverse is

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:  
:Greek_Theta_2:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Tau:
 :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta:
 :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Theta_2::Greek_Iota:
:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:

On the reverse is

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_Iota:  
:Greek_Beta:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_Iota:
 :Greek_omega_small:  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:

I think that it reads θεοτοκε βοΗθει τιβεριω  = Theotokos, help Tiberius and dates to the 7th or 8th Century.  Have I gotten the age and identity correct?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of Tiberius τιβεριω? 7th - 8th Century
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:14 am »
Yes, nothing to add
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:44:50 am »
Gert , Thank you for your reply!  I looked  through the Dumbarton Oaks collection and somewhat surprisingly found no seals of any τιβεριω other than the Emperors Tiberios I Constantine,   Tiberios II Constantine and Maurice Tiberios.  Especially given the historical nature of the name Tiberius in the Roman Empire.  Have you seen any seals with τιβεριω?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:09 am »
It is an uncommon name, but it is attested for a number of individuals, on seals and in other sources. Zacos col. has none, but Seyrig col. has a bilingual seal of a Tiberius (no. 354). No doubt you will find more in the published works.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity