Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A dilemma for collectors  (Read 668 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
A dilemma for collectors
« on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:12 pm »
Hello to everyone. So I want some opinions on a matter of taste I believe. So let's say there are two denarii of the same emperor, both in the same price, the one is in beautiful xf condition with a nice portrait but has clearly been damaged in cleaning and so it has many light hairline scratches. The other one is in vf+ maybe better condition but in no means resemble the beauty of the portrait of the other one and of course doesn't have any damage. For me I know what I would prefer but I would love to hear some opinions and points of view from other collectors. What do you people think?
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: A dilemma for collectors
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:27 pm »
I'm not a condition freak, the second option please.

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:58:24 pm »
I would take option B
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:11:32 pm »
Also probably the vf specimen.  Someone once told be to avoid "but" coins......any coin for which you need to use the word "but" when describing it to someone.....such as "It's a beautiful XF+, BUT...."

P.S.  -  Unfortunately, I haven't always taken their sage advice.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:56:41 pm »
I'd need to see the two side by sideEye appeal goes a long way in this hobby.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity