Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman bronze cleaning  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Roman bronze cleaning
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »
Hello. I would like to clean this coin. I know it is a nice coin, some may say it doesn't even need cleaning but I am determined to do it. I know the risks and i know many may say I should try my luck with an other one. I considered all this ideas and I am almost ready to start. I know how to work gently as I am a miniature painter so I can assure you I have steady hands and a lot of patience. I need help with were to start from. Should I try to soften the soil first, what household items can I use to clean it, what if I find that the soil is cemented? I thank you all for your help in advance!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
Re: Roman bronze cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:27:06 am »
I think, a small, sharp scalpel and a set of needles may help. As for household items: I often use needles stuck in wine corks...

ZM

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:52:08 pm »
Scalpel, whetstone, magnification, lighting, + steady hand.

Plus side = you will see more detail.  Down side = you will loose the (admittedly imperfect) contrast and have an all-black coin.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:32:07 pm »

Plus side = you will see more detail.  Down side = you will loose the (admittedly imperfect) contrast and have an all-black coin.

SC
Can I use water or medical alcohol to wash it after?

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:33 pm »

SC
I finished after hours. The photo as it is from my cell phone and the others from the seller, it doesn't help a lot as it is shown quite harsh which is not in reality. I did a very small tiny line near the legend and in extreme magnification it shows a bit of bronze metal, but with naked eye can't be seen, is small lines here and there considered normal, because I can't imagine any way without risking making some here and there.

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 08:34:39 pm »
The photos of the last product. They are terrible as they are taken with my phone but you might see the progress.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:09:59 pm »
Excellent progress.
Gentle. Slow and careful.
PeteB

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:46 pm »
Excellent progress.
Gentle. Slow and careful.
PeteB
Thank you very much! I appreciate your comment. Is the small hairline showing the metal underneath the patina considered normal to happen when cleaning? It is very small, invisible in the naked eye. Should I consider it serious damage? Is it even possible to not make any lines on the patina? Sorry for bothering you with so many questions.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 09:30:01 am »
Looks very good
SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity