Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spearhead ID help wanted  (Read 685 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Spearhead ID help wanted
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:59 am »
Hello guys,

I've been trying to find some good sources for spearheads but it seems to me that the info about them can be really vague at times. So i've some questions about this spearhead I purchased from a local metal detector's father who found it in the early 90's. The head itself was found in the thuin region in Belgium. This area was already used as a burial place in Gallo-Roman times, around the 2nd and 3rd century. The earliest name of the settlement, Thudinium Castellum, referring to a Roman fortification. The guy I bought it from said it was a cavalry spear from the first century B.C. Dating back to the war of Caesar against the Belgian Celtic Nervii tribe. Given the action there was in this area it's possible but can also be something else.

It's made of Iron and it's 255mmx25mm en weighs about 170 gram (not that much but it's heavily corroded). One thing that I noticed on the head itself are 2 lines, my question I have about that is was it for looks, had it a purpose or just a result of the production process?

Thanks for reading through  :)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
Re: Spearhead ID help wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:27:54 am »
I've taken the liberty of lightening your pictures.

The two lines that I believe you refer to appear to be the outer edges of the low, broad central rib. It is structural, not decorative.

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 03:40:45 pm »
Thank you for making it more clear 😊. Any idea where i can find more information or help to ID it?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:55:08 pm »
I am starting a post to collect data on spearheads from academic studies.

One page so far but will keep adding to it.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:58:17 pm »
Other finds that were found with the spearhead were 2 massive scorpio (roman ballista) spearheads, 4 lead slingbullets and a roman plumbata. These all were found in an known area close to an oppidum of the nervii tribe. There were only roman weaponry found as the siege probably only lasted a few hours and they didn't give any resistance. So i'm leaning towards roman cavalry auxiliary, but please enlighten me if you learn more in the future :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity