Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Storing flips for coins  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Storing flips for coins
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:24:40 am »
Hello. I bought saflips to safely store my collection. What now would be the best place to store the flips with the coins? I find it difficult to find album pages without PVC. Should I maybe use a box? Do you know any box for coin flips that is safe and acid free? Many thanks!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Storing flips for coins
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:30 am »
Cardboard boxes are fine - and they are produced for this purpose.  Box storage actually makes organizing your collection much easier than album pages because you don't have to move 20 coins into different pockets to make room for a new coin.  There is no issue with acid in the cardboard so long as the actual coin is not touching that material.  If the coin is in a saflip, it will be protected.  I'm not aware of any "outgassing" by cardboard that would penetrate a saflip.  If you have bronzes, it's a good idea to throw a dessicant pouch into the box to control moisture.  Replace the dessicant pouch at regular intervals.

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:11:41 am »
Thank you for the answer. Isn't the dessicant going to produce any fumes that will damage the coins?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:09 am »
I'm not aware of any damaging fumes produced by dessicant. A moist storage environment, on the other hand, poses risk of triggering "bronze disease" on bronze coins.  Dessicant is probably a low risk compared to the risk of moisture.

If you are concerned, there may be other ways to manage the environment depending on where the coins are stored.  A dehumidifier, for example.  However, dessicant may be better-suited to managing the "microclimate" that could form inside a closed coin box.

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:13:35 pm »
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. So how often should someone change the dessicant, I live in a Mediterranean clymet, dry in the Summer and a so much but a little moist in the winter.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:38 pm »
Basileus Soter Menander, please ONLY use quotes when answering an earlier post and without quotes it will not be clear to whom you are responding. You do not need to quote the post directly before your own.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity