Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for your business! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Merry Christmas! Your favorite coin collector must be wishing for an ancient coin! All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Website Awards (Moderators: Pep, Andrew McCabe, Molinari)  |  Topic: New Annual FORVM Website Award 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Annual FORVM Website Award  (Read 14019 times)
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« on: January 06, 2016, 04:39:07 pm »

Since the website awards program has faded away, I must make major changes. The new format will not require a committee.

We will only award annual FORVM Website Awards, with gold, silver and bronze for first, second and third place respectively. A poll will be held annually each December.  

Nominations will be accepted all year long. Any site that is nominated and then seconded by registered members will be included in the poll, except discussion forums and commercial sites that sell coins are not be eligible. All members can nominate a site by posting on this board. Please include the words "Website Award Nominaition" followed by the name of the site in the subject. Please include a link and a description of the site in the nomination post.

When you come across a great website, please nominate it for our award.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis 2015
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:11:37 pm »

Great, I think this will be much easier.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »

Nominations please.  Post them here.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:01:13 pm »

Is there a list of ineligible websites (i.e. prior winners that cannot be nominated again), or is any non-commercial website fair game?

Michael
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 05:52:42 am »

At this point, any website can be nominated. I think we should create a perpetus status (similar to the member of the year) to prevent the same sites from winning every time. I will think about how to do that. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Martin Rowe
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:25:02 am »

Quote from: Carausius on March 22, 2016, 03:01:13 pm
Is there a list of ineligible websites (i.e. prior winners that cannot be nominated again), or is any non-commercial website fair game?

I compiled a list of past winners for Andrew last year, hopefully i have it somewhere on my hard drive, if not maybe Andrew saved a copy.

Molinari
Tribunus Plebis 2015
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:59:17 am »

At this point, any website can be nominated. I thine we should create a perpetus status (similar to the member of the year) to prevent the same sites from winning every time. I will think about how to do that. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

There already is a lifetime award for anyone who wins the gold award twice.  At least I think that's what the by-laws say.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:34 am »

When the committee stopped working, the by-laws stopped working too, but that is probably the best idea. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Martin Rowe
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »

I found the list i had compiled showing what i believe to be all the current holders of website awards. Maybe you have a more up to date list than the one i made last year Joe.

Have you made a final decision regarding the creating of a perpetus status or is it still open for debate ?

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 12:33:39 pm »

There is are posts and NumisWiki pages listing previous winners.  We have until November to decide, so it is still open for discussion.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
jmuona
Procurator Caesaris
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »

I realize this is beside the point, but there are some really nice Forum galleries. Should we start recognizing these as well?
I ask this partly because I think they are underused. People might not understand the depth and width these offer.
s.
Jyrki Muona

Enodia
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

~ For My Star ~

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »

I realize this is beside the point, but there are some really nice Forum galleries. Should we start recognizing these as well?
I ask this partly because I think they are underused. People might not understand the depth and width these offer.
s.
Jyrki Muona

Jyrki i had that same thought in mind for the Member's Gallery forum, and i'm just trying to sort out some kind of criteria. i had planned to post this while i'm off work this weekend.
stay tuned!    Cool

~ Peter

Molinari
Tribunus Plebis 2015
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »

That's a great idea.

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 04:23:49 pm »

Quote from: Carausius on March 22, 2016, 03:01:13 pm

I compiled a list of past winners for Andrew last year, hopefully i have it somewhere on my hard drive, if not maybe Andrew saved a copy.

I have a copy in my email.

I wanted to add that a great deal of work was put in by the last committee to try make the existing system work. There was months of email circulars, none of it seen by anyone on Forum (not even Joe) trying to identity suitable award candidates who didn't break one or other existing rule.

The main hurdles were that
- new sites are invariably either (1) commercial, sometimes with a veneer of content (2) competing with Forum ie were discussion groups (3) weak (4) anonymous with the webmasters uncontactable or (5) academic and would not agree to host a Forum logo
- old sites were often excellent, but any excellent old site had already scored a Forum regular award.

We did make a number of regular awards under the old system, but in truth we ran out of sites to award to, due to the reasons above. When considering a potential annual award we were left looking at sites that had already won in prior years, and there didn't seem much point.

The website world has changed a great deal since a decade ago. Forum for example is now aggregating galleries that in the past would have been separate websites. Databases have narrowed down to acsearch, wildwinds and cng. New content is either dreadfully commercial or rejects commercial links entirely, or builds off existing successful sites. Really good standalone new numismatic websites, that meet the rules about commerciality, just aren't being created at all. Aggregator sites such as Flickr, Facebook or Instagram are taking the place of what were hobbyist standalone sites of one or two decades ago. The world has just moved on.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »

I agree that it is difficult to find new sites to award, but I hope we will find enough to award a bronze, silver and gold each year. Discussion groups could be eligible (we have awarded some before, I think). Sites don't have to have a contactable webmaster or agree to host a Forum logo (though I certainly wish they would).

We could also create gallery awards.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 04:57:20 am »

I was thinking maybe the gold award should be undated and perpetus. 

Maybe the top 25% of sites that have not yet received an award, get the standard award. 

Thoughts?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:18 am »

Your first idea makes sense. Basically, one and done with gold awards. I assume silver and bronze winners would remain eligible for a gold if their website improves etc.? So, perhaps each award should be perpetuus, but bronze and silver should retain upward mobility potential to get a higher level award.

By "top 25% of sites" do you mean top 25% vote recipients in Forum award polls?

Michael
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 06:38:23 pm »

There will only be one poll, not polls, and yes, the top 25% of vote recipients.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Mayadigger
Caesar

Romans, lock your wives way!

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »

Ave Joe!

I'd like to nominate Andrzej Barski, "Kwinto Coins", for a Forum Award as the best resource for 'Black Sea" area coins/proto money.

Andrzej, aka Kwinto, is a very serious collector of these issues, with all the best book references for his collection; Nieczitajlo-Mihailov, Anokhin, et al. All of the coins seen in the photo references are in his personal collection, not simply taken from other sources. Here's the link - then click Greek Coins...

http://www.kwinto-coins.com/index.html

This type of serious dedication to ancient coin collecting deserves to be rewarded, IMO.

Thanks,

Kevin Sandes

PS - He has no clue that he's been nominated.   Cool

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Website Awards (Moderators: Pep, Andrew McCabe, Molinari)  |  Topic: New Annual FORVM Website Award « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop