Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Composite Plate Brooch...Zoomorphic?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Composite Plate Brooch...Zoomorphic?
« on: March 13, 2020, 05:28:22 pm »
Ave!

I just read Jimi's post concerning his wolf and ears thoughts. See the link below.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=121652.0

My brooch is:

Copper alloy; 44mm/6.8gm with blue glass inlay (not enameling), seen in the 1st photo.

I keep finding the same funny wolf/dog motif on many artifacts, especially on copper alloy casket legs, c. 3rd-4th Cent.
View the 2nd photo. I have more of the same I could share if needed.

But this is the first one I've come across on a brooch.

As all of them were ground-found in Roman Pannonia and Moesia, I have always assumed they were fabricated by Celtic-Romano smiths, due to the Celtic-styled motifs.

Can anyone set Jimi and I straight concerning such? Wolf? Dog? Or what?

Looking forward to any answers!

Best regards and I wish you all to be safe and healthy during these troubling days,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Composite Plate Brooch...Zoomorphic?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 07:48:49 pm »
You see these things called wolf, dragon, beast, animal, horse, etc.  Sadly we can't read the mind of the creators.  Kevin, your stuff looks like a dog or puppy head to me.  But for all we know the creator thought it was a dragon. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity