Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: affect of virus on hobby?  (Read 8820 times)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
affect of virus on hobby?
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:37:27 pm »
I am curious what people think the affect of the corona virus will be on activities within the hobby.

I think clubs and shows will probably be negatively affected, but a lot of collecting is rather solitary, private
action, and with the internet, I see collectors in many ways have an advantage of what to do with their time.

Tuesday, a minister is speaking at a local club, probably on ancient Israelite and related roman coinage, I'll
probably go to that.

I think there is a lot of paranoia about the virus, I am wondering how it will affect people and what they
plan to do.  How do you think it will affect you as far as the hobby is concerned?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: affect of virus on hobby?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:47:55 am »
I think many may stop spending money on coins for a time and either spend it on stockpiling provisions or simply keeping cash on hand.  The entire country of Italy is on lock down.  It's unprecedented.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:40:48 pm »
On the bright side, I may get more than my average of one item checked off my numismatic to-do list this month.   "Go to more events" is not likely to be one of them.    The average age in most coin clubs that I have been to is "higher risk group".
     I am supposed to fly to Montreal for a non-numismatic event later in the month.  If more flights are cancelled, it will be a long drive.  A very pretty drive much of tne way from NYC to Montreal, but a very long one.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:28:31 pm »
I understand what you are saying Jay, but I wonder if the opposite strategy might be good.  Where should one put one money when the economy takes a hit, but into rare collectables, gold and silver?  I am not saying that is what anyone "should" do, but it is one consideration to think about.  Of course, it is good when coin prices go up, because I have many, and it is also bad when coin prices go up, because I want more.....  The perils of being a collector, it is a hard life but someone has to do it.

I think of coin collecting as being a rather private and individualist endeavor, especially with the market of the internet.  In a time when people are considering how being in crowds might be a problem, the habits ingrained by such private and individualist behavior might be a very good thing.

I went to the South Suburban Coin Club in the Englewood Library (Colorado), they had a minister as a guest speaker talking about Bible related coinage.  But, of course, the corona virus came up as a topic.  Of course, they had to wait and see, but generally they thought they would not cancel, unless the library closed.  It is hard to tell how serious this is, that and the fact that it is an invisible threat are causing more anxiety then (perhaps) this warrants.  Of course, collectors in general are an older demographic, and this virus seems to affect older people harder.  This is different from the flu of 1918, which hit the young harder, the older people had more a resistance from past years.

A few things I would suggest considering.
wash hands frequently and for 20 seconds, about the length it takes to recite the alphabet.
Don't touch your face (eyes or nose) with your hands.  This is a hard one for me.
I take vitamin C, in hope of it boosting my immune system a little more, my brother however thinks taking vitamins just gives you more expensive urine.  But, I don't think it can hurt.
look up infectious disease measures or something like that, have an idea of what is being done, and what can be done, short of coming up with a cure or a vaccine.
look at your coins, appreciate them, and appreciate that you have something to do, if you decide to hole up ("self-isolate").
Remember that life is a risk, and fate is fickle.  It is not that there was no risk before, and now there is.  It is just that before this a lot of threats are out of sight out of mind.
I heard about a private school that was measuring students temperature when they arrived, and sent anybody with a fever home.  This of course would catch all kinds of ailments, but it makes sense that it might also catch the corona virus (Corvid 19(?))
Oh, and if you get quarantined, do it, for all our sakes.  Don't be like the bozo who went to the conservative conference.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 10:30:26 pm »
Baltimore show cancelled.   My Montreal trip cancelled.   NHL seemingly cancelled.   Baseball back 2 weeks.  Older kid's college graduation ceremony in limbo.

So, I guess I have more money to spend on coins.  Oh, wait, stocks crashed.

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:43 pm »
On a more serious note, I hope and wish that all of you are well.  I am all of 20 hours into "telecommuting" and have had 15 telephone conferences, 300 emails, and am bouncing off the walls.  I had to guide teams through 3 local office closings because "someone in the building" is sadly ill, and probably several more to follow.   My wonderful wife is dealing with similar items, and younger son is home from college about 8 weeks early.  His usual summer job involves a summer camp, so he may be with us longer than some of my coins.

My coin club is exploring "virtual" meetings for the next few months (although I am playing with an idea where a handful of us park on the same street and hold one coin out the window).  

With respect to "virtual" club meetings, which would involve quite a few people with low tech skills*, any recommended platforms?  

* Somewhere between "having an email account" and "has successfully made an online purchase without help".  

The "lemonade out of the lemons" is that NYC, having closed all bars and restaurants except for takeout and delivery, has deemed mixed drinks, draft beer, and retail bottles of wine to be eligible for takeout and delivery.   I will have a takeout martini close-of-business Friday.

Paul 

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:59:13 pm »
I have never done them, but I would google "chat rooms"  There may be somewhere a numismatic chat room, for which you could formally or informally set up/take over/implement a coup, I am not sure what to call it.

I assume that there are 'special' chat rooms that have picture sharing capability.  the name snapchat comes to mind, but again I am not familiar with what that is.

Of course, you could post a topic here, and have people in your club log in and comment on it( + anyone else).  I am not sure how personally satisfying it would be for the participants but with an inspired topic, I imagine that it might work.

be well,
John

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 07:18:30 am »
On a cell phone WhatsApp is a good tool for keeping in touch.  Individual or group chat options, and only with those in your contacts.   Easy to share images and video and it even has wifi phone calls.   It's like text messaging on steroids.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:50:42 am »
Sales have been very slow.  Please support Forum - please shop today.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 02:43:11 pm »
Done.  Nice little denarius of Lucius Caesar, 103.  Like his cousin Gaius, he got the itch and unfortunately the virus as well.  Best, Joe.  Jim, Perpetual Non-Poster

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 05:06:14 pm »
Thanks Jim.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
Hi,
Not buying coins any more, not because of the corona virus but because I always said I would sell at this age after a lifetime of collecting in order to retire. The virus I suspect will suppress prices which puts those plans on hold, sadly.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »
Not buying coins any more, not because of the corona virus but because I always said I would sell at this age after a lifetime of collecting in order to retire.

Mauseus

:o  You're still a boy! I planned to sell most of my coins when I retired too. I retired 13 years ago and not only are the coins still here, they have been consistently added to over those years. I do though plan at some point to sell some of my coins which are in areas I no longer have a great interest in. But, being in the "at risk" group, at the moment I am just hoping to get through the current situation safely.

Alex

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 07:06:01 pm »
Hi.

With those who know me I have always said I would stop buying at 50 and sell at 55. Now, three and a half years into that plan I have this blip of covid 19 but am hoping my overall timescale coincides with the publication of Sam's work on Carausius with the revised RIC for the period.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 09:40:23 pm »
The apparently never ending sale a Forum will be ending soon. Please take a look in the shop!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity