Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aucissa fibula from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 1574 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Aucissa fibula from Caesarea Maritima
« on: March 05, 2020, 10:18:52 pm »
Hi all.  I am starting to catalog some fibulae from Caesarea Maritima.  I am just learning the terminology, types and descriptions so any corrections or suggestions would be most appreciated.  Joe Sermarini's Numiswiki fibula pages are absolutely great.  Thanks, Forum Ancient Coins!   V-drome

BCC MA43
Bow Fibula - Aucissa Type
Caesarea Maritima
Roman 1st-early 2nd Century CE
Classic Aucissa type bow fibula with
single pin tube hinge decorated with
two concentric punch marks  The high
flat ribbon bow form has a reeded, raised
central rib and borders.  (edit) The solid
foot is finished with a hammered and
rolled pin-catch and a very small wolf's
head with ears and facial features.
5.8cm x 3.1cm. Weight: 8.18gm.
Surface find, 1972
(click for larger pic)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Aucissa fibula from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »
With a closer look I think the foot is actually a very small wolf's head with ears, eyes and mouth.  Also, since the bow tapers, would this be a legionary early 2nd century Alesia Wolf subtype?  Thanks, for any ideas!  Jimi

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 05:05:30 pm »
Ave Jimi,

I can neither confirm nor deny your attributions... 8)

But your photography is off the hook! Kudos!

With a closer look I think the foot is actually a very small wolf's head with ears, eyes and mouth.  Also, since the bow tapers, would this be a legionary early 2nd century Alesia Wolf subtype?  Thanks, for any ideas!  Jimi

Here's the funny part; I was just about to post, and will shortly, asking the same question concerning the wolf and ears.

Perhaps others here can aid us both?

Stay safe during these troubling days,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:46:34 pm »
While the foot may be in the form of a wolf's head the wolf sub-type is something different.  It refers to the type with a flat, ribbon-like bow that has inscribed in fair size on the bow two circle and a V in a layout that looks like a wolf's head.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 09:29:17 pm »
Thank you Kevin and Shawn.  Your contributions to the Numiswiki pages and the discussion board are greatly appreciated.

Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity