Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another one Basil II miliaresion Class I was found  (Read 894 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Another one Basil II miliaresion Class I was found
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:42:05 am »
Another one Basil II miliaresion Class I was found.

Recently, another instance of the rare Basil I milaresion Class I was discovered (DOC IIIb 16; Sear 1808).
Only several such coins were known. First coin is stored in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection (see on plate below, #1), the second is in a private collection in Athens (according to P. Grierson), the third has recently been sold twice through well-known online auctions (see on plate below, #2). There may be others, but they have not been published.

So, a new coin, discovered recently (see on plate below, #3), is in very poor condition. The coin was severely burned, the edge was broken off, as I think, during the finding, 'cos the silver became is extremely fragile. Two holes for a patch on clothes or something like that were roughly punched.

According to Savoca information, only one example in CoinArchives and possibly only three or four known. Professor Grierson suggests that this Miliaresion was a transitional issue struck for only a few weeks in 977 shortly after Basil and Constantine's accession (P. Grierson, "The Gold and Silver Coinage of Basil II," ANSMN 13 (1967), pl. XXXIX, I).

Of course, it's easiest to consider this type as a donative, minted in small quantities for distribution among the guests at a ceremony.
But how then to explain the fact that all three coins presented below were minted from three different pairs of dies, which indicates a rather large issue of these type. What then is their extreme rarity connected with?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity