Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman bronze cleaning  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Roman bronze cleaning
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »
Hello. I would like to clean this coin. I know it is a nice coin, some may say it doesn't even need cleaning but I am determined to do it. I know the risks and i know many may say I should try my luck with an other one. I considered all this ideas and I am almost ready to start. I know how to work gently as I am a miniature painter so I can assure you I have steady hands and a lot of patience. I need help with were to start from. Should I try to soften the soil first, what household items can I use to clean it, what if I find that the soil is cemented? I thank you all for your help in advance!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
Re: Roman bronze cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:27:06 am »
I think, a small, sharp scalpel and a set of needles may help. As for household items: I often use needles stuck in wine corks...

ZM

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:52:08 pm »
Scalpel, whetstone, magnification, lighting, + steady hand.

Plus side = you will see more detail.  Down side = you will loose the (admittedly imperfect) contrast and have an all-black coin.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:32:07 pm »

Plus side = you will see more detail.  Down side = you will loose the (admittedly imperfect) contrast and have an all-black coin.

SC
Can I use water or medical alcohol to wash it after?

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:33 pm »

SC
I finished after hours. The photo as it is from my cell phone and the others from the seller, it doesn't help a lot as it is shown quite harsh which is not in reality. I did a very small tiny line near the legend and in extreme magnification it shows a bit of bronze metal, but with naked eye can't be seen, is small lines here and there considered normal, because I can't imagine any way without risking making some here and there.

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 08:34:39 pm »
The photos of the last product. They are terrible as they are taken with my phone but you might see the progress.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:09:59 pm »
Excellent progress.
Gentle. Slow and careful.
PeteB

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:46 pm »
Excellent progress.
Gentle. Slow and careful.
PeteB
Thank you very much! I appreciate your comment. Is the small hairline showing the metal underneath the patina considered normal to happen when cleaning? It is very small, invisible in the naked eye. Should I consider it serious damage? Is it even possible to not make any lines on the patina? Sorry for bothering you with so many questions.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 09:30:01 am »
Looks very good
SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity