Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Volume of Hadrian RIC impressions, and new variants  (Read 2404 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
New Volume of Hadrian RIC impressions, and new variants
« on: February 26, 2020, 02:47:25 pm »
Hi!

I'm sure that many of you have already checked the new volume of RIC on Hadrian which was released not so long ago. What a comprehensive and up-to-date collection of all possible variants for both Roman and Eastern mints. Especially I enjoy the endless plates which include the pics of virtually all known variants. Personally, for identification I prefer to navigate around the plates, but not  through descriptions as it used to be in old days. I wonder if it is only me, or you also find the plates more convenient to navigate when you need to define a type, or variant, etc.

Such comprehensive and handy overview of the bust types facilitate a lot in tracking of new variants. Eastern mints in particular seem to be far away from completion.

Recently I was lucky to come across two new bust variants not present in the new RIC, both already confirmed by Richard Andy.

1.  N1019(A2/L aegis) - new variant with aegis
2.. N1123A (A2+) - new bust variant

That is great there is always a room left for the new variants despite we have access to the most comprehensive study ever. So lets keep Richard busy with new variants, and types too!))).

Thanks for your time,

Z.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: New Volume of Hadrian RIC impressions, and new variants
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:27:52 am »
I bought RIC II/3 a few weeks ago and am going through it now.  I do like the new format and the large number of plates.  It has replaced BMC as my go to for Hadrian.

I am slowly going through my Hadrian collection (also starting to put some in my gallery).  Not sure yet if the few unlisted variants I had are still unlisted or are captured in the expanded RIC.  I will be surprised if I have anything unlisted still.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:38:09 am »
I have only worked with it a little. I am disappointed that it lists different bust varieties under the same number.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 10:42:46 am »
I saw new RIC editions at NYINC.  The updated vols seemed substantively excellent.  I forget whether it was vol 2.2 or 2.3, but one of them was in a different size format which I found extremely disappointing.  RIC have been about the same size, with very miniscule variation, for nearly 100 years.  I was surprised and a little frustrated that Spink would change size in the middle of update editions.  Apparently, the switch has a cost savings to the publisher - fewer larger pages - which savings is presumably passed-onto the consumer.  Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more for a set that's size-matched and can all fit on the same shelf (where my RIC have sat for 20 years)!

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:26:33 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on February 27, 2020, 10:42:46 am
I saw new RIC editions at NYINC.  The updated vols seemed substantively excellent.  I forget whether it was vol 2.2 or 2.3, but one of them was in a different size format which I found extremely disappointing.

Yes, it is Hadrian's volume larger than the other ones. Probably you are right, it is more cost-efficient. I wonder if Spink will keep up with the same new format for the next volume of Nerva - Trajan.

Im with you about radical format shift. Though as relatively new collector I dont have issues with my shelf. This is my first RIC as book, as i used pdfs before.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:44:26 pm »
I find that the larger size is worth it for the fact that you can get more coins per plate and that makes scanning to find a particular coin and making comparisons faster.

I actually like the classification system though I know others find it frustrating.  The volume does assign different numbers for different busts, but only for significant variations.  The authors don't believe that every variation is relevant.  So while a head will be different from a heroic nude bust which is different from a cuirassed bust, a nude bust and a nude bust with trace of drapery will be listed as the same number.  This is because the authors believe that such minor variation is the result of engraver styles na not intentional change.

There are two differing approaches to classifying such coins.  Classify according to exactly what is on the coin - thus capture all minor design variations, legend breaks, etc. - or classify according the what appears to have been relevant for ancient mint operators and can be seen to be a significant difference in terms of issue, date, mint, etc.  RIC seems to be moving to the latter.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 03:35:20 pm »
Nice finds Z,

I am very happy, with RIC III, although the picturing from RPC III are better, i hope one day we get the a similar online catalog as RPC.

here are my unlisted variants (so far)
i wonder if there is an A1 there must be A2 or other way around
Time will tell

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 04:43:08 pm »
Eric, congrats with your new variants! Amazing new finds. For sure here there are many more around waiting to be discovered! lets keep up!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity