Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID - Byzantine Follis  (Read 412 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:38:05 am »
Help ID - Byzantine Follis (29mm. - 10 gr)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:19:04 pm »
Your coin is a typical confusing Byzantine overstrike. Both pictures show a reverse, one of the overtype and one of the undertype. Apart from vague hints of consular robes, the obverse of the overtype simply isn't there because of a poor strike.

The left hand picture (large  :M2:)  is the reverse of a follis of Tiberius II Constantine or Maurice Tiberius. Since I believe all the year 8 folles of Tiberius Constantine are marked   :G2: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: and not  :U: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: , I think it has to be SBCV  532 of Maurice, mint of Antioch, of course.

There's not enough surviving detail in the right-hand picture (large  :Greek_Mu:) to be sure. I think I can just about make out an N in exergue, which would fit with a CON mintmark. And maybe the regnal year is III. The officina is B. My best guess would be Justin II  SBCV 360. I suppose Maurice SBCV 493 or 494 might also be possible as candidates.

Bill R.

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Re: Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:26:01 pm »
Your coin is a typical confusing Byzantine overstrike. Both pictures show a reverse, one of the overtype and one of the undertype. Apart from vague hints of consular robes, the obverse of the overtype simply isn't there because of a poor strike.

The left hand picture (large  :M2:)  is the reverse of a follis of Tiberius II Constantine or Maurice Tiberius. Since I believe all the year 8 folles of Tiberius Constantine are marked   :G2: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: and not  :U: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: , I think it has to be SBCV  832 of Maurice, mint of Antioch, of course.

There's not enough surviving detail in the right-hand picture (large  :Greek_Mu:) to be sure. I think I can just about make out an N in exergue, which would fit with a CON mintmark. And maybe the regnal year is III. The officina is B. My best guess would be Justin II  SBCV 360. I suppose Maurice SBCV 493 or 494 might also be possible as candidates.

Bill R.

Thank you so much dear friend

All coins are guaranteed for eternity