Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Should I clean a rare Octavian Denarius  (Read 1872 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Should I clean a rare Octavian Denarius
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »
I've been cleaning coins for awhile and am well aware of the methods. However, I've never had to clean a deposit and/or encrustation on a silver. They have all been bronze and I know if you are going to use a chemicals like CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover)or Vinegar, it's basically all or nothing. I also have an Electrolysis gadget. All of these methods run the risk of stripping the coin of it's patina and/or damaging the coin.

However, silver does not have a patina, rather it's toned. Will these methods damage the coin?

I just have it soaking in distilled water at the moment.

I've read this thread "How to Clean Silver (not Silvered) Coins": https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=16055.0 and it looks promising but I am very very scared to try anything with a coin like this.   :-\

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Should I clean a rare Octavian Denarius
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:19:59 pm »
My personal opinion....

Unless you can find a way to only remove the encrustations behind the head, let it alone.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 02:44:14 pm »
Lemon juice soaked q-tip on the affected area.  Patience is key.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:01 pm »
Haven't tried the lemon juice yet, but the distilled water is working - a little.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:58 pm »
To paraphrase Jay GT4, and to translate Augustus, "make haste slowly". 
   That coin has a lot going for it, so no up-side to aggressive cleaning.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 09:39:19 pm »
Jay I've been treating the area with dabs of lemon juice for 15mins every couple of days. Yesterday I grabbed my cleaning pen and lightly brushed just the deposit without touching the coin at all. Trust me, I'm being real careful. The good news is that it looks like the encrustation is sitting atop the coin. Look closely you will see a bit of the denarius poking through.  So it's working, I'm just bewildered as to why the previous owner(s) haven't tried to clean the area ???

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:10 pm »
I would not dream of mechanically cleaning this denarius in any way, shape or form. It’s your coin and I’m sure you’re being extremely carful, as you said, but you are taking a huge risk. I second Jay’s advice 100%, lemon juice or leave it as is.

Nemo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity