Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help  (Read 1097 times)

Offline jesus

• Praetorian
help
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:25:58 pm »
Hello partners.
You can tell me what weight system the city of Kyzikos used for the minting of its silver coin during the archaic period.
Thank you.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 01:19:35 pm »
Hello,
Kyzikos, as a Milesian colony, has adopted the Milesian standard so roughly 14.1g to the stater.
The Archaic silver coinage is contemporaneous of the archaic electrum one (Babelon I p.389)
As far as i know, only 4 staters in billon are known (W. 14.2 g on average) Von Fritze 1, Babelon 654
It's hard to know the exact denominations of the fractions but the most common type, "tunny left" ( Von Fritze 5) is on average 0.55g so it should be a 1/24th, an obol if you assume that the stater is a tetradrachm.
the types "tunny head" (Von Fritze 2 and 3) seem slightly heavier could be light 1/12th (they are tri-hemioboles for Babelon)
few smaller denominations exist e.g. Rosen 516 1/48th or Tetartemorion
even 1/96th ? cf  Peus e-auction 8 lot 81

Offline jesus

• Praetorian
Re: help
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 01:05:11 pm »
Muchas gracias Brennos

All coins are guaranteed for eternity