Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help to identify the Roman Republican coin quadrants w/ Mercury  (Read 320 times)

Offline Leon S

• Praetorian
Hello.
Please help to identify the Roman Republican coin quadrants (5.3 gr.  20.6 mm):
Obverse: Head of Mercury r.
Reverse: Prow r.; above, ROMA; before, K; below, ooo.

According to Crawford catalog, the coin is unlisted quadrants of Anonymous probably 211-208 BC. Uncertain mint, possibly in Luceria.
The coin is similar to quadrants listed in Crawford # 97/13d and 98A/5 mint in Luceria and could be a variation of one of them. The problem is the weight. Listed quadrants weight 9-13.50 gr. The weight difference between the sample that I have and ones listed in the catalog is too big.
Since the only quadrants mint in Luceria with the Mercury on obverse, I assume that the coin probably mint in Luceria later and belong to a period with Bronze group 5 listed in Crawford catalog # 97/26.
The weight of quadrants is correct for this bronze group. The L is not visible on obverse (if any) and the missing value is probably rare, but possible.
The letter K is a question

Please let me know if saw a similar coin or others with K and let me know your opinion or knowledge about this coin.
Thank you.

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
Re: Please help to identify the Roman Republican coin quadrants w/ Mercury
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:33:05 am »
This coin is not a quadrans but a semuncia that has been altered in modern times. The style is that of a 38/7 semuncia and the weight is correct. The 3 dots and "k" symbol are completely modern and the result of tooling.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

All coins are guaranteed for eternity