Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dating of a Iron Spear Head  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Dating of a Iron Spear Head
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:22 am »
Dear Friends,

I have had this spear head for over 25 years and I have never been able to date it. It was unearthed in Turkey close to Ankara.
It is 420 mm long and it weighs ca 1100 g.
Could this be a Sarissa spear head of pre 300 BC?

I hope someone could shed some light into this, I research coins a lot more, antiquities is not my strength.

Thank you in advance
Burak

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Dating of a Iron Spear Head
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:40:14 am »
Spearheads, like arrow-heads, are very difficult to date.  The problem is that there are very few good references.

Knowing where they're from is good

To me, your item looks very well made and my first guess would be Ottoman.  But that is just a guess.  Looking at Turkish museum collections would probably be the only way to be sure.

Let us know what you find.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:27:25 pm »
Here is a picture (from phone, through glass) of Roman spearheads excavated in London, Museum of London display.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 05:30:22 pm »
Roman spearheads and butts excavated at the town of Ovilava, modern Wels, Austria.  Ovilava/Wels Roman Museum.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:33:54 pm »
Thanks for all the help so far.
I have seen several Ottoman spear heads, and most of them are decorated with ornamental designs and are much smaller. I know where this has been dug out and have seen the other items it was found with. It is certainly Greek. The reason it looks well done, is because the condition of this spear head is exceptional. There were others that did not look like this at all in terms of grade.

The reason I am saying it may be a Sarissa spear head is because of its size and the images below. The size and weight are within the vicinity.

Burak

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:00 pm »
Those sarissa spears have a middle rib, which is common in bronze age and iron age spears.  Yours does not have a middle rib but is instead diamond-shaped in cross-section.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 06:19:05 pm »
From the reading I have been doing your spear blade type appears to match early Medieval Balkan types.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity