Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Assistance for Titus As  (Read 540 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
ID Assistance for Titus As
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:46:54 am »
I picked up the following coin last weekend.  It's not the absolute best condition, but looks much better in hand and was rather reasonably priced.

I was writing up the envelope for it, but got stuck on the RIC attribution.  The closest match I can find on either Wildwinds or ACS is RIC 238.  My sticking point is that under magnification, the obverse legend appears to end in "COS VII" and not "COS VIII" as do all the specimens pictured on those two sites.  The patina is a bit chipped right at that point on the coin, but as best I try, I just can't seem to come up with a "III" at the end.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: ID Assistance for Titus As
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:26:20 am »
Pretty tough to see any consular date in the photo.   But a nice portrait.   I'm away from my copy of RIC at the moment but look in Forum galleries, Alberto or David may have an example.

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:29:35 am »
If you could establish an obverse die match with another coin that can be unambiguously attributed....
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:24 am »
Spes with left portrait on the left does not exist in RIC combined with COS VII, while left portraits  become quite common with COS VIII.

Even the style of the portrait - with its big head - seems to me to be definitely leaning towards RIC 238.

To claim that your coin is a previously unrecorded COS VII, a clear reading of the obverse legend would be required, which, as Jay also said, seems rather difficult.

Alberto

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:41:03 am »
Alberto is correct - the obverse should read COS VIII (RIC 238).

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I was in no way attempting to claim I had found a new variant based on the Consulship.  I don't own a copy of RIC, and was just going by what I saw on those two websites.

And it is unfortunate that you can't make out the legend at the base of the obverse in the photo.  Even in hand it requires moving the coin around to get the right lighting to make out the bottom half of COS and a relatively clear "II"...unfortunately as I mentioned, the patina has then chipped away apparently obscuring the third "I".

So for my records, RIC 238 it shall be.

Again, thanks.

Craig

All coins are guaranteed for eternity