Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III/ Balbinus mule  (Read 574 times)

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Gordian III/ Balbinus mule
« on: February 10, 2020, 06:16:05 pm »
I just received this sestertius, only the second of my database

M ANT GORDIANVS CAES
Draped buste right seen from behind

LIBERALITAS AVGVSTORVM
Liberalitas standing left holding abacus and cornucopia

32mm

24.05g

sames dies than the specimen of Copenhagen

Same reverse dies than Balbinus https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1887943 (Kunker auction 248, N°7565)

But for the PIETAS AVGG aureus, I can say than my serie for Gordianus Caesar is finished.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Gordian III/ Balbinus mule
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
But for the PIETAS AVGG aureus, I can say than my serie for Gordianus Caesar is finished.

Wow!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:38:43 am »
Rare Gordian III as Caesar on the obverse, interesting historical reverse type, only the second known specimen of this type for the young Caesar!

I wouldn't call the coin a mule, however. The Distribution Scene type of Balbinus and Pupienus (see picture below) shows three figures seated on curule chairs and presiding over the distribution, therefore Gordian was already Caesar and entitled to have coins struck for him when this largesse was commemorated on the coins. So it was to be expected that the LIBERALITAS AVGVSTORVM type might intentionally have been struck for him too, along with Balbinus and Pupienus.

Two other coins of Gordianus III as Caesar that might also have been struck though they have not yet been attested: the Liberalitas standing type on denarii and the Distribution Scene type on sestertii.
Curtis Clay

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »
Dear Curtis, thanks for comment.

I did check my database for the Liberalitas serie for Balbinus and Pupienus and I still didn't find any die link between those

Like the only 2 specimens of Gordian where minted with a die also known for Balbinus, I made that interpretation...

I also remember in RIC a note about the Distribution scene

"Voetter, in N.Z., 1893, p.392, deduce from C. (Gordian III) 150 the existence of a sestertius with a Liberalitas Augustorum distribution scene - a conjecture accepted by Pink in N.Z., 1935, p23. The conjecture must still remain doubtful: possibly C.'s description conceals a hybrid. (Vienne has a cast, from Voetter coll., with obv. as N°2 above, and rev. as of Balbinus no.14, or Pupienus no. 13.)C. (Gordian III) 184 is too dubious to be listed here"

By the way, I have a lot of pictures from Vienna (and other museums), but I did never got from Mr Vondrovec the picture of that cast and the specimen from Voetter did never come back on the market since 130 years... so to my eyes, that type don't have to exist because Gordian wasn't August.

Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity