Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual loros on the Michael VII histamenon  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Unusual loros on the Michael VII histamenon
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:42:18 pm »
Look at an interesting version of Michael VII histamenon. In general, the coin is quite standard: the usual common type, base gold alloy.

But there is an interesting detail in the design of the loros. All Michael VI histamenons seen by me bear the image of loros, decorated with large rectangular stones. In my case, the die-cutter used a different punch for some reason, and the stones in the loros are round.

Have you ever met a similar loros type on Michael VII histamenon or is this one of a kind?

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: Unusual loros on the Michael VII histamenon
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:45:09 pm »
This type of loros is standard for Michael VII histamenons:

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 12:49:57 pm »
On the damaged appearance of the "non-standard" histamenon. The coin was once flattened out of an ordinary curved shape.

Below is another one macro photo of this non-standard loros :

Offline byzcoincoll

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:04:22 am »
An intetersting variant!! I haven't seen such a Michael VII histamenon before.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity