Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if this marcus aurelius dupondius reverse is scarce?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Hello guys,

I picked up this coin for mainly the winged thunderbolt reverse.When searching up more online I don't seem to find alot of examples just a few. Is this a more 'rare' reverse?

Thanks.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Can anyone tell me if this marcus aurelius dupondius reverse is scarce?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:16:05 am »
There are at least 14 examples on acsearch...I would'nt use the word "rare" for this reverse. Maybe "less common" ??
DT

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:19:30 am »
That still doesn't seem like quite alot? But then again I know nothing about it.

Thanks for giving me some insight!
 :D

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:24:34 am »
@Kilian O

Did you notice that there are two variations. RIC 1219 (Head of Marcus Aurelius) and RIC 1220 (Bust of Marcus Aurelius). Both about equally  "less common". (each with 3 examples on OCRE)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:32:03 am »
I didn't know thanks for pointing that out to me!
Provincial issues of these are quite common but dupondii struck in Rome seem to be rather rare? ??? Atleast that's some of the feedback I got from someone  :tongue:

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 09:11:45 am »
Provincial issues of these are quite common but dupondii struck in Rome seem to be rather rare? ??? Atleast that's some of the feedback I got from someone  :tongue:

Maybe the person meant the somehow similar "Koinon of Macedon" examples. ( With a completely different legend in greek)

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3671362

There are several variations of this type. All combined they are probably more common.

But IMHO it makes not much sense to compare these issues.

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 09:24:37 am »
Yeah you're right.
I'm not sure how rarity works with ancients cause I can see only a few examples in the database and in my eyes it would make it rare but then again there are probably quite some out there that aren't on it.
Been browsing auctions/sites alot to find coins and it was the first time I came across this example being an imperial issue.
Main thing is that I bought it dirtcheap on auction and nobody seemed interested in it. I know it's not the most beautiful coin but these sure don't pop up much I'd think ::)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity