Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Coin  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Steven C5

• Praetorian
Unknown Coin
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »
I found this coin in a box of things that were my grandfather's. I have no clue as to what the era is nor have I been able to locate anything that remotely looks like it. Any help in identifying it would be very much appreciated

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:16:37 am »
I Rotated your reverse image 180º, it appears that you have a Byzantine coin. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of Byzantine coinage will be able to help you with a reference.

Martin

Offline Steven C5

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 04:57:08 am »
Thanks Martin. I appreciate you being able to help identify the era the coin may have come from. I’m hopeful that someone will recognize this coin and will be able to provide more info.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:16:35 am »
At first glance it looks like at coin issued after 1203 by the Latins, but what is the size?
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Magistros

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:32:08 pm »
Yes this is a trachy minted by the Latin Empire, maybe SB 2044?

Offline Steven C5

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 07:12:12 pm »
Thanks Simon and Macerata1 for your help. After viewing the photos for SB 2044, I believe that is the coin. The markings look pretty much the same although mine is a little more worn down. Much appreciated!!!

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 12:03:41 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity