Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEW COIN FROM ANEMOURION (CILICIA)  (Read 702 times)

Offline Fernando

• Legionary
NEW COIN FROM ANEMOURION (CILICIA)
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:43:52 am »
Hello,

I just got this coin for my collection. It is an AE coined by Valerian I in the mint of Anemurion (Cilicia). I have reviewed the coins that appear on internet and I have found certain differences.

The description of the coin would be:

OBVERSE: Radiated bust from Valeriano to right, AVT K OVAΛЄPIANOC ????

* The obverse recalls this coin: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=234804

REVERSE: ΑΝΕΜΟP-ΕWΝ, nude Apollo standing left, holding laurel branch, lyre on TABLE to left.

* The reverse has two essential differences. First, the lyre rests on a three-legged table reminiscent of emissions with a table that holds an Agonistic crown. In Anemurion's emissions the lyre is supported by a small column.
The second difference is that the small column appears in front of Apollo.

The technical data are:

Weight: 5.17 gr
Diameter: 19.70 mm

I could not find any example with this reverse design. It can be a non-referenced coin.

Best regards from Spain,

Fernando Arnau.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: NEW COIN FROM ANEMOURION (CILICIA)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:29:59 am »

Obverse is as on Lindgren III #800, Gallienus:

PRO:   CILICIA TRACHEIA
PO :   ANEMURIUM